Saturday, January 14, 2012

Welcome to Winter

Hola!

Again I must begin by apologizing for the lack of recent blog posts, this past week I got cable in my house for the first time in a few months so I have been pretty glued to the television- Sorry! I will get back into a more regular schedule now- Promise!

So today will be a pretty tough one to beat as we spent the ENTIRE day ripping around in search of powder and steep tree lines. We even managed to find our fair share of little cliffs and jumps- thankfully the only injury was my pride as I proceeded to take more crashes today than I had this whole season. The good news is that the majority of these crashes were into some of that nice fluffy stuff. Our initial plan was to train this afternoon, but the conditions on Main Street just were not safe enough for good GS training. This does not mean that we spent the day free of focus or intention- as I have said before, one of the best ways to improve as a ski racer is to expose yourself to as many different surfaces and conditions as possible. Skiing through some knee deep powder and hitting a hidden stump is a lot like racing through a course and hitting a hole in your line- it happens, and it will often throw you for a whirl, but you have to be able to reel it back in to make a sweet recovery. And trust me, the J3 team had our fair share of sweet recoveries throughout the day.

Due to cold temperatures tomorrow, morning training is optional. It is scheduled to be some GS free skiing in the am, followed up by a full course session in the afternoon. It will be a very cold day tomorrow so be sure to bundle up, and don't forget something to cover your face!

Anyone having questions about wax? I will share my secret with you, Swix provides a Wax Wizard on their website that basically works like a calculator. The information that you will need can be found in a basic weather report. Due to a difficult internet connection at the moment, I am unable to provide the URL for the site. But if you go to swixsport.com, and move your cursor to hover over the wax tips option in the toolbar, the drop down menu will offer the "Wax Wizard". This is what you are looking for, but also please do not hesitate to ask me as I love to play around with the waxes to find the fastest combination.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, my camera has been going through a tough time in the cold weather. I have some en route via email from our guest photographer for the day and I will add them to the post.

Okay, that is all for now! Have a great evening and enjoy the real winter conditions we are facing tomorrow, I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment